Wednesday 13 February 2008

A laugh a minute.

I've had the giggles all day. This is very bad because a giggly zimble is a very inefficient being. I hope it will pass, just as hiccups might, when I fall asleep tonight. I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow.

It all started this morning as I sloshed down my staple weet-bix, banana, honey and soy milk with sultanas on Sundays combo. I was sifting through some old holiday brochures which were ready for the recycle bin and came across one about a guided hiking trip in Austria. "Today, a long but steep climb..." it said.

Then at my clinic, one of my patients wanted to bring me a box of fresh frozen prawns. He wanted to do this because his son had a job on a trawler. He was very proud. I explained that hospital policy was such that I really couldn't accept gifts but it was a very nice gesture.

The man insisted and I ended up having to gently tell him that as a vegetarian I wouldn't be wishing to eat the prawns. He asked me what 'vegetarium' meant and I said, "Well, I don't eat meat, chicken or fish." He thought about that for a while and then said, "So what else is there?" I was tempted to say, "Oh, you know, carrots..."

And then, driving home, I got stuck behind a rubbish truck with a sign on its back saying, "warning: truck constantly stopping". Well, 'frequently' stopping or 'often' stopping perhaps but 'constantly'? Stephen King was right when he said to avoid adverbs.

And just now, a news reader recapitulated the top story of the day: Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generation. The news reader said, "Kevin Rudd's sorry statement was watched by thousands of black and white Australians."

I always suspected zebras had a strong sense of social justice.

No comments: