Saturday 29 March 2008

To recharge the batteries, turn off the lights.

The Bungle Bungles.

Yesterday, I posted a reminder about the Earth Hour to a web forum, where I have been a member for about eight years. It wasn't an impassioned plea for us all to return to the dark ages, just a simple reminder that the event was taking place tonight at 8pm.

I expected a couple of people to say they would join in and many to say nothing at all since it was off topic. What I didn't expect was a response full of anger and indignation:

"Frankly, I don't believe in those show-off actions. I don't think I will make the Earth better by spending an hour of my weekend without light, heating, and ability to heat food or water."

What can one do when such attitudes prevail?

To counter the negativity, I've dug out an old photo I took in Purnululu National Park in Western Australia in about 2001, where I spent three days camping. Despite the ice cold bore water out-door showers and the fly-blown pit latrines, they were three of the most rejuvenating and relaxing days I've ever had, anywhere. I could easily have stayed a month.

.

No comments: